Many people assume that you must be sporty in order to have a Sports Massage. This is not true! Sports massage is for anyone who wants to receive the benefits a Sports Massage can bring, such as reduced stress and tension. It can help relieve many of the day to day problems that everyone experiences. Regardless of your experiences in sport or exercise, whether you exercise socially or compete to an international level – sports massage may have something to offer you.
Sports Massage is a combination of deep pressure massage strokes, frictions and stretches to the muscles, tendons and ligaments. It is effective for releasing muscle tension and restoring balance to the musculoskeletal system. Received regularly this may help athletes prevent injuries which might otherwise be caused by overuse. A constant build-up of tension in the muscles from regular activity may lead to stresses on joints, ligaments, tendons, as well as the muscles themselves.
The benefits of Sports Massage include:
- Improve circulation & lymphatic flow
- Assist in the removal of metabolic waste
- Sedate or stimulate nerve endings
- Increase or decrease muscle tone
- Increase or decrease muscle length
- Remodel scar tissue when required
- Assist in mental preparation for sporting participation
If you are a sports performer, of any level, a sports specific massage can be beneficial at various stages of participation. For example:
- The conditioning/training phase
- Inter competition
- Post competition
- Injury prevention